IRC are looking for a Solicitor to join their client at a busy and growing Private Client department in there Edinburgh office. The role will provide Executry Services to clients, provide Estate Planning Advice (covering Wills, Powers of Attorney, Trusts, Asset Protection & Tax Mitigation) to clients and provide support to our branch network in Private Client matters.
ROLE OF DEPARTMENT
· Provide Executry Services to clients.
· Provide Estate Planning Advice (covering Wills, Powers of Attorney, Trusts, Asset Protection & Tax Mitigation) to clients.
· Provide support to branch network in Private Client matters.
· To manage a varied personal caseload of Private Client work.
· To support qualified solicitors and other fee-earners within the department.
· To carry out administrative functions within the department.
To attend to all day-to-day aspects of the administration of estates:-
o Meeting clients to take instructions and being proficient at setting up and conducting meetings by video conference.
o Communicating with other professionals, financial institutions, and service providers.
o Investigating assets in executry estates.
o Framing estate Inventory and Inheritance Tax forms; Meeting clients to explain and review same.
o Realisation of estate assets, including obtaining payment of cash balances and transfer of assets to beneficiaries.
o Accounting to executors and beneficiaries.
o Distribution of estates to beneficiaries.
o Open communication with clients throughout, including provision of regular, unprompted updates.
· Preparing Wills and Powers of Attorney:-
o Meeting clients to take initial instructions on Wills and Powers of Attorney.
o Being proficient at setting up and conducting meetings by video conference.
o Drafting Wills and Powers of Attorney in line with instructions.
o Meeting clients to review and execute documents.
- Identifying potential complexities and obtaining guidance from more experienced or senior colleagues as appropriate.
- Undertaking legal research and reporting / presenting findings to partners and fee-earners.
- Pro-active management of individual caseload.
- Cross-selling of legal, property and financial services.
- Working with partners and fee-earners to review existing policies, practices and precedents.
· LLB degree in Scots Law
· Diploma in Professional Legal Practice
· Upper second class or higher LLB (Hons) degree
· STEP Diploma in Trusts and Estates
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· NQ to 5 years PQE in Private Client work.
· Competent IT skills
· Good communications skills
· Strong organisational skills
· Experience of using case management software.
· Strong understanding of Will drafting, succession law and executry administration.
· Understanding of different types of financial products.
· Succession Law having been studied at Honours level.
· General legal knowledge spanning other practice areas.
· A professional and sympathetic approach to dealing with clients during sensitive periods.
· Communicating legal issues to clients in plain English.
· Ability to work to strict timescales and deadlines.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· A team player.
· Ability to problem solve and see ‘bigger picture’.
· Commercial awareness.