IRC is working with a renowned firm of Solicitors, they are looking for a Solicitor to join their busy and growing Private Client department in their central eastern Scotland office. The role of the department will be to provide Executry Services to clients, provide Estate Planning Advice (covering Wills, Powers of Attorney, Trusts, Asset Protection & Tax Mitigation) to clients and provide support to the branch network in Private Client matters.
• To manage a varied personal caseload of Private Client work.
• To support qualified solicitors and other fee-earners within the department.
• To carry out administrative functions within the department.
• To attend to all day-to-day aspects of the administration of estates:-
• Meeting clients to take instructions and being proficient at setting up and conducting meetings by video conference.
• Communicating with other professionals, financial institutions, and service providers.
• Investigating assets in executry estates.
• Framing estate Inventory and Inheritance Tax forms; Meeting clients to explain and review same.
• Realisation of estate assets, including obtaining payment of cash balances and transfer of assets to beneficiaries.
• Accounting to executors and beneficiaries.
• Distribution of estates to beneficiaries.
• Open communication with clients throughout, including provision of regular, unprompted updates.
• Preparing Wills and Powers of Attorney:-
• Meeting clients to take initial instructions on Wills and Powers of Attorney.
• Being proficient at setting up and conducting meetings by video conference.
• Drafting Wills and Powers of Attorney in line with instructions.
• Meeting clients to review and execute documents.
• Identifying potential complexities and obtaining guidance from more experienced or senior colleagues as appropriate.
• Undertaking legal research and reporting / presenting findings to partners and fee-earners.
• Pro-active management of individual caseload.
• Cross-selling of legal, property and financial services.
• Working with partners and fee-earners to review existing policies, practices and precedents.
• LLB degree in Scots Law
• Diploma in Professional Legal Practice
• Upper second class or higher LLB (Hons) degree
• STEP Diploma in Trusts and Estates
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• NQ to 5 years PQE in Private Client work.
• Competent IT skills
• Good communications skills
• Strong organisational skills
• Experience of using case management software.
• Strong understanding of Will drafting, succession law and executry administration.
• Understanding of different types of financial products.
• Succession Law having been studied at Honours level.
• General legal knowledge spanning other practice areas.
• A professional and sympathetic approach to dealing with clients during sensitive periods.
• Communicating legal issues to clients in plain English.
• Ability to work to strict timescales and deadlines.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• A team player.
• Ability to problem solve and see ‘bigger picture’.
• Commercial awareness.